How would you like to start your own blog?
Knowing how to maintain your blog, how to write compelling blog posts, how to keep your blog topic and how to grow your blog in general is the difficult part. I will use this post to teach you how to start a blog that actually makes money. But before I dive in properly, let’s first cover a few basic elements. Let’s learn about the “blog” before creating one.
What is a blog?
Here is the definition of a blog according to Wikipedia: “A blog is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web that consists of discrete, often informational, journal-style text entries.” According to Google, “A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, usually run by a small individual or group that is written in an informal or conversational style.” That’s right.
Reasons why you should have a blog
Starting a blog comes with a lot of advantages.
Some of these include:
- Blogging is currently the cheapest and most effective way to market your business.
- This is especially true for business owners. You can start a blog for your business and start promoting your products and services.
- Having a blog gives you unimaginable opportunities for you as an owner.
- These opportunities come in various forms, whether they are financial gains, new friends or even personal development among other gains.
- Blogging puts your personality there. And you have no idea what is waiting on the other side.
- A blog has the potential to make a living
- Properly done blogging will earn you enough money to enable your dream lifestyle. But first, you need to have a blog and then monetize it with any of these money making ideas.
- If you are the type of person who gets happiness from the help of other people, starting a blog today is a decision you would never regret. With a blog, you can publish articles that change people’s lives, help them solve their problems and inspire them to pursue excellence.
How to start a blog in just 4 steps
Step 1: Choose a niche
Before you start creating your blog, you must first decide what you are going to blog about. What topic will you write about? This is the first crucial step in building a successful blog, especially if you intend to make money from it afterwards. For this reason, look at your passions and hobbies for inspiration.
Just because a certain blogger is successful with a certain niche doesn’t necessarily mean you should copy. Blogging has its ups and downs and when it hits, you will need more than motivation to keep going.
What industries do you have experience in?
Are you a professional accountant or trader?
Well, it turns out; you can turn this into a blog. For example, if you have an experience in accounting, you can start a blog that teaches people how to make their taxes among other financial topics.
Choose a niche that will stay.
What I want to say?
There are a few topics on the internet that don’t last long. They are seasonal, since they have been on trend for some time. As a blog owner, you don’t want to build a blog around such topics.
A good example: if you love football, for example, it would be wrong to build a website around world cups as a niche. Trend for a few months, then forgotten for another four years or ever.
Step 2: Choose a domain name
Let’s start with the beginning: What is a domain name? A domain name is the address of your blog. This is where users find your blog. For example, DimeSynergy.com is our domain name for this blog. A domain name carries a lot of weight. Therefore, you should put a lot of effort into choosing the perfect name. In short, a domain name is the identity of your brand and everything associated with it.
Whether you’re blogging about travel destinations or money tips, you’ll need a domain name to describe this. For example, if you chose web design as your blogging niche, your domain name should look something like WebDesignPro.com, DesignIdeas.com, or WebDeveloper.com, and so on. That way, when someone looks at your domain name, they’ll immediately get an idea of what to expect. To help you choose a domain name, here are some domain name tips to work with:
- Choose something short and simple. Avoid long and complicated names that are difficult to enchant and remember
- Consider choosing a name related to your niche. This is good for SEO (search engine optimization)
- Make sure your domain name is unique (don’t copy anyone) and brand
- Do not use hyphens in your domain name
- If you run out of ideas, use your name as a domain name. for example, com
Follow these tips to create a name for your new blog.
Buy the domain name
Once you choose a name, you will need to purchase it so that no one else can claim it. You see, there are thousands of blogs running every minute, which means thousands of people are constantly searching for domain names. Delaying for a second could cost you a domain name that resonates with your business. Buy your site name now to be safe.
Where to buy a domain name!
You can purchase your preferred domain name from a hosting service provider. For example, BlueHost sells all kinds of domains. “.Com”, . xyz, .Info, .Net, .Org, .Biz, and so on.
How to get a free domain name!
Get your domain name as well as hosting services from BlueHost.
What is BlueHost?
BlueHost is one of the most renowned web hosting sites in the world, with thousands of happy customers stamping their reliability. Interestingly, currently running a promotion within you get a free domain name for the first year if you purchase 12 months and above of web hosting services. That’s right.
Why pay for a domain name elsewhere when you can get it for free through BlueHost?
Why use BlueHost!
Here’s why I recommend Bluehost to all blogging beginners: –
- If you receive more than 12 months of hosting, your monthly prices are significantly reduced
- BlueHost has a 24/7 customer service. If you get stuck somewhere, contact them at any time
- Get a free domain for the first year if you purchase 12 months of hosting
- Over competitive prices, you can’t find it anywhere on the market
- Time up – 99.99%
- Shared, Cloud, VPS and dedicated servers
- Starting from 2.75 USD/month
If you are interested, use this link to sign up for BlueHost . And in the next steps, I will show you how to set up your new blog.
Step 3: Buy hosting services on BlueHost
After securing the domain name of your blog, now is the time to prepare it. This is where you take your website from a dream to a reality. To do this, you will need a hosting site as mentioned above. A hosting site is where the content of your website is; users and files will be hosted and protected. Obtaining a hosting account was easy with BlueHost and you can set it up with just a few mouse clicks.
How to buy hosting on BlueHost!
BlueHost offers four hosting packages to choose from, depending on your budget. These packages are:
- Basic – $3.95/Mo*
- Plus – $5.95/month*
- Choice Plus – $5.95/month*
- Pro – 13.95 USD/month*
For starters, I recommend going with Basic or Plus packages. They are pocket friendly and give you all the features you need to start a blog. And of course, as your blog grows, you can move on to these other superior hosting plans. But for now, stick to what you need. Now all you have to do is click on ‘ start’ according to the hosting plan of your choice.
You will be asked to choose your domain name. Here, use the one you chose earlier.
Enter your account information and continue to make the payment.
Accept the terms and conditions.
And boom! Have finished. Wait for a purchase confirmation email from BlueHost asking you to create a new password. Create the password, then log in to install WordPress.
Step 4: Install WordPress
I know you’ve been waiting for this part. In fact, this is the part where things are shaping up. And if you want to start a WordPress blog on BlueHost, this is the part.
First things first, what is WordPress?
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) designed to help you organize and manage your blog content. WordPress gives you the power to customize your new blog with thousands of beautiful themes to choose from. But don’t get me wrong, there are two types of WordPress. Lucky for you, I will share their differences.
- It works in conjunction with hosting sites such as BlueHost to feed websites. It allows you to completely customize your blog, thanks to thousands of free themes and free plug-ins available.
- You can generate money on your site whatever you want.
- Implement cutting-edge SEO techniques to put your website in front of readers.
- As you can guess, people always choose WordPress.org. When associated with BlueHost, you will get a blogging center.
How to install WordPress on BlueHost!
- Once you’ve created your password, BlueHost will give you the exact steps to start a blog.
- Log in to your BluePost cPanel account.
- Find the website and select WordPress install.
- Click the Install button.
- Choose the domain name in which to install it.
- In the field next to the domain, you can enter a subfolder such as “blog” or leave it blank if you want the main page of the site to be the blog.
- If necessary, you can edit your email address, username and password for the new WordPress installation. Open “Advanced Options” tab and you can change the settings.
- Read the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
- Select the Install Now button.
- Then, you will be asked to choose a theme. Here, do not worry about which to choose, choose anything and you can change it later, when you have more knowledge and found the one you like.
- Remember that some are free and some are premium.
- The next step is to click “start building”.
- Then choose “Business” and “Personal”.
- Once you have selected the above option, you will be taken to the dashboard of your blog. Here you can manage plugins as well as content.
- The next step is to create a title and description for a blog. Don’t worry, though; you can always make changes to anything you write here.
- Congratulations! You have a new site. Start posting content. Now that you have your blog ready and ready to cover best practices for choosing a blogging theme.
How to choose the best theme for your blog!
- Access responsive themes. Such themes respond to any device that readers use. This is crucial for a blog that makes money.
- Make sure the theme you choose can accommodate and work well with the plugins you intend to add to your site.
The truth is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of other blog owners who have used this theme. Take a look at what it has to say to get an idea of what to expect.
Given the number of themes on the market, it’s easy to try to change themes each week. Settle on that theme that offers a clean, simple and accessible site.
Since I covered the topics, I want to show you some of the most popular and must have plug-ins on your blog.
What are plugins?
A plugin is a software component that adds a selected feature to an existing computer program, such as themes. You can use plugins to add features, such as sharing options, to conveniently place related posts, among other things.
Popular plugins to use on your website.
- Yoast SEO – provides all the tools you need to improve your blog’s search engine ranking.
- WP Rocket – the best for WordPress blog caching.
- Shared accounts – used to display social network sharing options.
- Contact Form 7 – you will need a place where your readers can contact you. This is the WordPress job plug-in.
- MonsterInsights – the best way to display Google Analytics statistics in your new WordPress dashboard.
- WordFence Security – protects your blog from hackers.
Start blogging with BlueHost now
It’s now up to you to share content that your readers will want to read. Get involved with them to build a community around your new blog. And remember, blogging is not as easy as it sounds. You will need patience, consistency and hard work.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate link which may provide a small commission to me at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through the link. You can read the affiliate disclosure.